Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Window Seat Wanderings

Every Wednesday I post about a book I’ve read that I think is worth passing on. I have a personal love for Christian fiction so that is my main focus but you will find other reads sprinkled in here from time to time.



I’d love to hear what you thought of a book I recommended or if you have a new one for me to try. So grab your favorite beverage and get comfortable, let’s get wandering!

     I'm changing things up a bit this week with a much more serious subject line. The book is I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy by Angie Smith.



     I've followed Angie's blog for quite some time and have been moved to tears quite often as she has shared her heart with others. Here is the book description:

     In 2008, Angie Smith and her husband Todd (lead singer of the group Selah) learned through ultrasound that their fourth daughter had conditions making her “incompatible with life.” Advised to terminate the pregnancy, the Smiths chose instead to carry this child and allow room for a miracle. That miracle came the day they met Audrey Caroline and got the chance to love her for the precious two-and-a-half hours she lived on earth.    


Upon receiving the original diagnosis, Angie started a blog (Bring the Rain) to keep family and friends informed of their journey. Soon, the site exploded in popularity, connecting with thousands who were either experiencing their own heartbreaking situations or simply curious about how God could carry someone through something so tragic. I Will Carry You tells the powerful story of a parent losing her child, interwoven with the biblical story of Lazarus to help those who mourn to still have hope—to find grace and peace in the sacred dance of grief and joy.

     I've read this book just recently and found it heartbreakingly beautiful. Honestly, I cried through a lot of it. It was good crying because I could see the beauty even in the midst of all the tragedy taking place. Angie's got personal struggles that I can relate to and her writing is as intimate as if you were sitting in a room together having a private conversation. It's a good read for anyone who wants to be challenged in their walk with the Lord; who has lost a child; or who knows someone who has experienced the loss of a loved one.

No comments: