Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Window Seat Wanderings



Every Wednesday I post about a book I’ve read that I think is worth passing on. I have a personal love for Christian fiction so that is my main focus but you will find other reads sprinkled in here from time to time.



I’d love to hear what you thought of a book I recommended or if you have a new one for me to try. So grab your favorite beverage and get comfortable, let’s get wandering!

Today's book is "When the Heart Cries" by Cindy Woodsmall. I'm not usually an Amish fiction fan because I find the books typically romanticize the Amish faith and often overlook fundamental Amish beliefs for the sake of their story. I stumbled on this author shortly after our library got a copy of her first book "When the Heart Cries". The book was fascinating, riveting and heartwrenchingly real. I loved it and devoured the two subsequent titles in the trilogy.



Premise:
     Hannah Lapp was born and raised in an Old Order Amish home, without electricity, a telephone, or the right to follow her heart. Without her parents’ knowledge, she’s been in love with Mennonite Paul Waddell for years. When he asks her to marry him, she accepts, even though to do so will cause her family to avoid her for the rest of her life.







     Before Hannah and Paul reveal their relationship, tragedy strikes. In one unwelcome encounter, all that Hannah has known and believed is destroyed and she faces losing everything: her family, her fiancé, and even her faith in God.

Also in the trilogy:
When the Morning Comes
                                                                   When the Soul Mends

No comments: