Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Birthday and a Snowstorm

So, I turned 28 on Thursday. Yikes! I had all these expectations and we had plans and it all pretty much fell through. (Isn't that life!)

Birthdays were always such a big deal in my family and as I get older I realize it's just not as exciting all the time like it used to be.

By the time my birthday dawned I had been up for the third night in a row with one of the kids, Howard worked the night before my birthday and Chase is sick, so we pretty much all felt wrung out by the time my birthday rolled around. I received really thoughtful gifts from my hubby and kids and then we pretty much spent a low-key day together since no one felt energized to do anything.

The plan had been to go to Red Lobster for dinner but we got to the restaurant only to find that there was a long wait. Our munchkins are great diners but even they can't handle a long wait and then sit patiently at a table for an hour so we had to scrap our plans and head home to re-heated leftovers. Needless to say, my attitude became very poor. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself by the time we sat down to dinner. We started to pray and as I was thanking the Lord for the food and our family it just hit me that I had no excuse for my attitude! My husband tried to make the day as special as he could, all things considered, but sometimes things just happen beyond our control. It's how we react to the changes that defines who we are. At least I'm responding but I still have a lot of work to do on my response time!

Isn't Alexa's face so funny here! I don't have a clue what she was looking at or thinking!

Below is a collage of the first big snow we've received this year. Chase and I made a luge for his saucer, plugged the holes on his play set and created a pretty snug/warm little fort and Chase got out the sand toys for a time. Ever since I was little it pretty much always snows on or around my birthday so I was pretty excited to see the white stuff. My childhood is full of sledding memories and snow forts, snowball fights, etc. I love getting out in it and playing with my Chaser-man.

No comments: