Monday, February 1, 2010

About a Girl

I never wanted a girl. I can hear you all gasping at that but it's true. Maybe in some corner of my heart I would have admitted that there might be a teensy part of me wondering what it would be like. I would also have said that I'd rather have boys...until she came. Taking her daring first steps, crying dramatically when she falls and needing lots of reassurance to try, try again.
I've watched her big brother learn gentleness around a princess and how contagious joy can be...

I've learned how different two children can be and yet how intensely you can love both of them...

I've learned that I love dressing her in cute little outfits and finding the most adorable shoes for her to wear. That I can't stop kissing her cute little face when she's all dolled up or any other time...

I've watched her daddy become a pushover much like I was when her brother was born. I've found that daddy's of little girls are more tender with them than you ever thought possible...

And I will never forget the moment the doctors said it was a girl and I cried because something within me I didn't even know about was relieved. Or the moment I held her for the first time and she was so tiny and perfect and beautiful and feminine and mine. I never thought I wanted one but I don't know what I would have done without her. She is dainty and sensitive and full of joy but more than anything... she is my daughter...and I love her.

2 comments:

Whitney Hannam said...

Hey Sarah,
Oh my goodness what a sweet post! I...ahem...secretly want a girl, BUT will be ok if this new baby is a boy! We'll find out in a few weeks one way or the other! I love reading your blog...hope we get to see each other in person someday...maybe this summer we could have a big old family reunion!

Love ya,
Whitney

Jeff and Sylvia Case said...

Precious thoughts, Sarah.... Thanks for sharing! :)