Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Window Seat Wanderings

                                            
Every Wednesday I post about a book I’ve read that I think is worth passing on. I have a personal love for Christian fiction so that is my main focus but you will find other reads sprinkled in here from time to time.



I’d love to hear what you thought of a book I recommended or if you have a new one for me to try. So grab your favorite beverage and get comfortable, let’s get wandering!

     I know every book grabs each of us differently but I hope you will enjoy this one as much as I did. I have such a soft spot for kids who are orphaned and it is a desire of mine to one day have some sort of ministry to them. This book spoke to places in my heart and I wept through a lot of the story (in a really good way!). I've cried through a lot of his books but this one struck a chord with me. The author actually supports an orphange in Peru that is the setting for The Sunflower. (You can find out more about his charity work at www.operationkids.org/lifestart/)




     Just a week before their marriage, Christine's fiancé calls off the wedding, leaving her heartbroken. With hopes of helping her through a difficult time, Christine's best friend Jessica enrolls them both on a humanitarian mission in Peru, to work at an orphanage called El Girasol — The Sunflower. While working at the orphanage Christine meets Paul Cook, a successful and charismatic American doctor who has fled the States after one fatal day took away his career, his faith, and the woman he loved. Unplanned events lead Paul and Christine into the jungle of the Amazon, where Christine must confront her deepest fears, and she, and Paul, must both learn to trust and love again. Filled with powerful lessons of faith and hope, The Sunflower is an evocative novel about the redemptive power of love from one of the world's most beloved storytellers.

No comments: