Friday, January 15, 2010

A Christmas Story

Okay, I know this is a little late but I had to share what happened on Christmas morning in our house. No, no BB guns were involved! Sorry to everyone who loves A Christmas Story, I hate that movie.

Growing up in my family we always had Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and orange rolls for Christmas morning breakfast. They would be baking while we were opening Christmas presents. Yum! (My mouth waters just thinking of the smell...) It's a tradition that Howard and I have carried on with our own family.

This year though, I had a new recipe I wanted to try out on Christmas Eve morning. I baked cinnamon bread, we had a great breakfast and forgot about the oven. Come Christmas morning I pre-heated our oven in the midst of gift opening and before long a slightly smoky smell began to permeate the house. I got up to get the rolls ready and instead found a nice toasty fire burning away in our oven! The flames were high enough that they were reaching the bottom rungs of the oven shelves. I quickly turned off the oven and Howard and I watched until the fire burned out (which it did quickly or we'd have been calling the firehouse!). We left the oven to cool, continued our gift opening, although, now the house had enough odor that we kept wanting to choke on the acrid smell!

From what we can figure the bread I had made the morning before dripped some of the sugar/butter mixture onto the bottom of the oven and ignited. My wonderful husband cleaned out the oven, we ate leftover cinnamon bread and had our Christmas morning breakfast the day after Christmas and now have a story we can look back on and laugh about!

1 comment:

Jeff and Sylvia Case said...

I hate that movie too!!!! Sooooo stupid. Good to know there's someone else out there who agrees with me. :)