Thursday, August 16, 2012

Just for Fun

Howard and I often take time around our anniversary to check in with each other on where we are goal wise, where we hope to be in 10 years, and what some of our dreams are.

We love our home but both of us feel the itch to find a single home (we are currently in a twin) with land. We want room for our kids to run and space from our neighbors (although we are very fortunate to have wonderful neighbors around us!).

We have no idea when we can even begin looking. The market put a bit of a damper on that for a while! It got me thinking about how different everyone sees the world.

Howard and I like some similar home designs and couldn't be more different on others. For example, I LOVE log cabins (Howard's version of a log cabin is from the 1700s and he does not like the modern cabin design I favor!). We both adore cape cods.  If we ever build our own home I already have the floor plan for the house I want! Howard also likes more traditional colonial style houses (which I don't care for so much) and we both strongly dislike bi-level homes (nothing against anyone who has one, that's why there is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry! :) )

Anyway, my dream house is a log cabin, cape cod style home with a big front porch and all the rustic/modern charm I can cram into it. When we get old and feeble I would love to own an American Craftsman style home. I am definitely a fan of certain arts and crafts styling and the rich woodwork and design of those homes fascinate me.

I LOVE floor plans and it's a guilty pleasure of mine to take out floor plan books from the library (as well as books on different styles of homes) to examine and enjoy.

So what style(s) of home do you like? I'm curious how varied the answers would be and what/how that home(s) fits with your personality! Happy dreaming!

2 comments:

Keni said...

I like A frames and small cottages. Then again I love an old stone farm house with creeky hard wood floors and spiral stairs! :) Im not picky though! :)
I guess growing up in a log cabin has kind of made me not appreciate them as much. They are kind of cool thou!

Sarah said...

My style log cabin is different from what you grew up in though! That's why I love how they are all different! My dream one is a mash up of white walls mixed in with beams on the interior not just log walls and lots and lots of light! :)