Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tips worth Remembering

I am always on the lookout for simple tips that will help save me money in the long run. I came across two recently that I thought were worth sharing.

I am forever getting grease stains on my clothing from cooking. I've thrown away a few really nice shirts because I couldn't get the stains out. I use aprons as much as possible now but stains do occasionally still find their way onto our clothing (imagine that!).

I read recently how white chalk will remove grease stains from clothing.

I had a nice pair of shorts that had a grease stain on them. I'd washed them, dried them and tried all kinds of treatments and nothing had worked. I figured I had nothing to lose trying the chalk. The crazy thing is it worked! The shorts had already been dried so I thought it was hopeless. I am over the moon about such a simple tip! You simply rub the chalk all over the stain and launder like normal.

My second tip is great if you get ink on your clothing (or in our case most often the kids, who have it somewhere on their shirts). Before you wash the clothing, or whatever else you have an ink stain on, saturate the stain with aerosol hair spray. Be sure to hold a paper towel on the back side of the stain because it will bleed right through to whatever is behind it! The paper towel will absorb the stain and you can launder your clothing like normal. This doesn't work so well on clothing that's been dried but sometimes you can still get the stain to lighten.

If you have any other great tips to share please send them to me and I'll get them posted in the comments. Happy saving!

1 comment:

Keni said...

thanks! Im going to have to remember them!!!