Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Update on the Diabetes Walk

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from Saturdays walk but there was a great turn out of people for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundations "Walk to Cure Diabetes". I told Howard that it was somewhat surreal to be surrounded by people who either had diabetes or had a family member who had diabetes. I wouldn't wish the disease on anyone but it was nice to realize that I'm not so alone in dealing with it.

Since no one can tell you have diabetes (and you don't go around asking people if they do!) it can feel very lonely dealing with it. I was greatly encouraged just being out with a bunch of other people who face the same issues I do daily!

There were tables set out with food and drinks. Howard said that he got to feel how I must feel everytime we go somewhere to eat. All the foods were marked as to how many carbs they had (which is crucial to know when giving insulin to cover what you eat), the drinks were water or diet, the whole event pretty much catered to diabetics. I can't explain how it felt to be part of the "normal majority" group there.

Last year our walk alone raised $70,000 so there's a lot of hope to match or beat that number this year. Howard and I met our personal goal of $350 and actually passed it by raising $392! Thank you if you helped contribute towards our goal.

The most exciting news to me at the event was the new insulin pump features and the hope that five years from now the first artificial pancreas will be distributed!!! It will still be worn like an insulin pump on the exterior of the body and the beginning uses for it will be limited but the hope is that eventually it will sense insulin changes within the body and give the insulin needed or stop insulin from being delivered just like a normal pancreas does. They hope to eliminate the need for blood sugar testing as well as alleviate the symptoms of "highs" and "lows" that diabetics experience. This is such fantastic news to me! While it isn't a "cure" there is a lot of hope that this will be the next step towards a cure. For current diabetics it means so much more freedom, the hope of no hospital visits due to complications, etc. I was so encouraged about the research being done after talking with the reps present at the walk. Despite the rain and cold it was a really positive day for me!

No comments: